Dedicated to providing effective, compassionate counsel in all aspects of family law

Can you appeal the judge’s decision in your contested divorce?

On Behalf of | Sep 3, 2021 | Divorce

If you and your soon-to-be ex-spouse can find common ground on all or most divorce-related issues, you may be able to proceed with an uncontested divorce. On the other hand, if the two of you disagree about property division, child custody, spousal support or any other matter, you probably want to opt for a contested one.

With a contested divorce, you ask a judge to help you wind up your marriage in a way that is fair for both you and your husband or wife. The judge’s decision is binding, so you and your ex-spouse must comply with the terms of the order. If you disagree with it, however, you may be able to file an appeal.

Connecticut’s right to appeal final orders

In the Constitution State, you have a right to appeal any final order from a trial court. The following are typically final under state law:

  • An order for the dissolution of your marriage
  • An order for the division of marital property
  • An order of spousal support
  • An order of child custody
  • An order of child support

The filing deadline

If you want to appeal a final order in your family law case, you must act quickly. After all, you only have 20 days to appeal the judge’s decision. If your ex-spouse files an appeal, you also must comply with strict time frames for responding to his or her appeal. Either way, it is critical not to procrastinate, as finding a legal precedent to support your appeal or refute your ex-spouse can be a time-consuming process.

The appellate process may drag on for several months. During this time, you may continue to pursue a settlement with your ex-husband or -wife. Ultimately, though, if you believe the judge made some factual or legal error when issuing his or her order, filing an appeal may be one of the more effective ways to reach the outcome you want.